Monday 8 August 2011

Empire State of Mind

I took a little much needed time off this weekend and also celebrated my 10 year anniversary in the city that never sleeps. They say you're not really a New Yorker until you've lived in the city for 10 years so I guess that makes me official.  My parents drove me down from Boston on August 6, 2001 while three sweaty men drove all my stuff and unpacked it on the hottest day of the year. I only just recently realized that August 6 also happens to be Andy Warhol's birthday. Thih fact seems oddly prophetic considering that he was one of the main reasons that I always wanted to live in New York.  While growing up in Southwestern Pennsylvania, I would hear stories of Andy Warhol and Studio 54 even long after his death.  It sounded like the most glamorous and amazing place to live where anything was possible. So many people dream of living here that I feel very grateful that I am able to experience this amazing city everyday.  Sometimes I hate it but most of the time I heart it and more importantly, I can't imagine living anywhere else. 


New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothin' you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Let's hear it for New York, New York,
New York

- Alicia Keys and Jay-Z


































Photos by Heather Clawson for Habitually Chic

No comments:

Post a Comment