Wednesday 6 April 2011

High Point Highlights

I'm back from my whirl wind trip to the High Point Market furniture show and have so much to share.  Before I start my in depth posts, I thought I would give you the highlights.  High Point Market invited a group of bloggers down to tour five showrooms including one of my favorites Hickory Chair above.  We were also invited to lunch with their fabulous designers Alexa Hampton, Suzanne Kasler, Mariette Himes Gomez and Thomas O'Brien who later walked us through all their spaces.

I love family owned companies and Comer Wear, the marketing director and third generation at Century Furniture gave is the tour of their huge showroom. They too have many different lines including Oscar de la Renta, Bob Timberlake, Archive Home, and the garden inspired collection above.

There were also a few showrooms we visited that I wasn't familiar with including Hooker Furniture.  That mirror trimmed and tufted bed definitely caught my eye though!

Another interesting showroom we visited was Sligh who is known for their home office furniture and entertainment units that incorporate state of the art technology.

I was also not familiar with Theodore Alexander who has a line of furniture reproduced from Althorp Estate which is over 500 years old but most known as the childhood home of Princess Diana.  Theodore Alexander also carried the furniture collection of Leigh and Leslie Keno better known as the Keno Brothers from Antiques Roadshow.  I would have expected them to design antique reproductions and their furniture collection of antique inspired modern furniture was my favorite discovery at High Point.  It also helps that their are so passionate and enthusiastic about furniture.

I've seen Halo Styles at the NYIGF but their booth there is nothing like their amazing showroom in High Point.  They have the entire building which is perfect for their mix of vintage finds and new furniture.  I especially loved this light fixture made from bowler hats.

We couldn't visit High Point without stopping to see Bunny Williams in her BeeLine Home showroom.  Bunny is one of the nicest designers and immensely talented.  Just wait until you see her inspiring showroom when I post more photos later.

BoBo Intriguing Objects is another favorite from the NYIGF who has a whole building full of vintage treasures in High Point. You know everything is authentic when it's still covered with a layer of dust!

The highlight of High Point are all the fun parties.  We stopped by the Halo soiree on Sunday where we ran into interior designer Philip Gorrivan and Michelle Adams of Lonny.  We also made it to the Elle Decor party for Barclay Butera on Monday night at Eastern Accents. That's Barclay with Elle Decor editor in chief Michael Boodro above. I was able to pick up the May 2011 issue early and can tell you that it's gorgeous! We also raised a glass with Architectural Digest where chatted with our friends from Edward Ferrell + Lweis Mittman and One Kings Lane.  Later, we danced the night away at Four Hands before heading back to our hotel to pass out. 

It was a very busy few days and I'm sorry we couldn't see everyone.  I will definitely give myself more time if I attend High Point Market in the fall.  The only low points were being turned away from Baker for not having an apointment and the huge storm that knocked out the power in our hotel for six hours Tuesday morning.  Other than that, we had a great time and would like to thank High Point Market for their lovely Southern hospitality.  It was so much fun seeing what was new and meeting so many lovely people but as we all in the design world know, there is no place like home. Check back for more complete High Point posts soon!

Photos by Heather Clawson for Habitually Chic

No comments:

Post a Comment